SCALEGUARD proppant-delivered scale inhibition treatment
SCALEGUARD proppant-delivered scale-inhibiting technology is a porous ceramic proppant engineered with an innovative controlled release technology and infused with scale-inhibiting chemicals.
Long-term protection from a single application
SCALEGUARD technology is placed throughout the entire fracture as part of the standard fracturing process. A single treatment can be designed to safeguard the entire production system—from the fracture through the wellbore to the surface processing equipment—or the life of the well.
Maintains inhibitors levels
Our unique controlled release technology ensures that scale-generating water is inhibited at a designed rate so that levels remain above the minimum inhibitor concentration (MIC) determined for each application.
Reduce production maintenance costs
Each SCALEGUARD treatment can be engineered to last for the effective life of the well based on anticipated production profiles. The technology significantly reduces production maintenance requirements and costs, avoid workovers and eliminate the potential for catastrophic production system failures. The technology has saved one operator in the Uinta over $160,000 per well in maintenance costs per year.
No loss of conductivity or integrity
SCALEGUARD technology serves as both a scale inhibitor and proppant that has no impact on fracture conductivity. It does not compromise proppant pack conductivity, nor create excessive fines that restrict or block hydrocarbon flow spaces: a risk associated with lower strength particulate-based carriers.
- Ceramic proppant infused with scale-inhibiting chemicals
- Controlled release technology provides a significant reduction in chemical wash out
- Engineered, uniformly distributed, interconnected porosity maintains the critical proppant strength and conductivity
- Designed placement within the fracture for optimal treatment
- SCALEGUARD technology stays in place within the fracture to deliver long-term protection from scale build-up
- May be premixed or added onsite with sand or CARBO ceramic proppant
- Long-term protection from scale build-up
- Increased long-term production compared to current treatments
- Simple deployment while you frac with no conductivity impairment
- Proven technology eliminates costly remediation treatments and equipment failures
- Both proppant and scale inhibitor reduce operating costs and increase production over the life of the well
A superior alternative
SCALEGUARD technology is superior to other methods of inhibiting scale.
- Controlled release technology significantly lengthens treatment life and reduces initial inhibitor washout
- Engineered ceramic proppant that provides effective chemical delivery, high fracture conductivity and strength
- Liquid inhibitor added to frac fluid is short-lived and inefficient due to the large volume of chemicals required
- Periodic squeezes are short-lived and must be routinely repeated, incurring ongoing operational expenditure
- Other particulate chemical carriers added during frac can impair conductivity and inhibitor effectiveness can be short-lived
A complete service for total production assurance
Our CARBO Production Services
team engineers each SCALEGUARD solution based on the unique characteristics of your reservoir. This ensures it efficiently protects long‑term production while maintaining fracture conductivity and integrity.
Our team provides wellsite services to ensure that each treatment is executed as designed, and evaluation services to confirm inhibitor levels are above specification—ensuring that each treatment provides long-lasting, cost‑effective protection.